Home-Based Business Start-Up
Success at Home
Guide to Associations / Affiliates
National Association of Home Based Businesses
10451 Mill Run Circle, Suite 400
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Phone: (410) 581-1373
American Association of Home Based Businesses
PO Box 10023
Rockville, MD 20849
Phone: (800) 447-9710
U.S. Small Business Administration
7825 Baymeadows Way Suite 100B
Jacksonville, FL 32256
Phone: (904) 443-1900
Thinking of starting your own business out of your home? Here are some tips:
- Do your research – develop your business plan.
- Contact your local chamber of Commerce and US Small Business Administration for start-up information.
- Take a personality test to determine whether running your own business is right for you.
- Develop a family plan.
- Set up a separate phone line just for business calls.
- Get a post office box for business correspondence.
- If computers are required make sure you have adequate power supply and backup capability.
- Join networking groups.
- Join your local chamber of commerce.
- Set realistic goals. It often takes a long time to just break even, especially in a small business.